Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Saturday July 30. Southern Milky Way Star Party, Part 2. This is the nearest Saturday to the early August new moon and so this is the "Regular Monthly Meeting" for August. We are scheduled to meet at Kneeland Airport for a viewing session. The star clouds and nebulae of the southern Milky Way will be in prime viewing position. Check the weather and the Kneeland Sky Cam and then check back here for more information and/or changes in plans.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2016 (check back for details):
- Friday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower. We will observe from Kneeland Airport. Peak activity is predicted for early evening on the 12th, with an 80% full moon in the sky. However, the Perseids have a very broad peak, and in general meteor showers are better after midnight (when we are on the "front" side of the Earth). Furthermore the moon will set at 2:00 am. So bring warm clothing and beverages and a comfortable recliner for a long evening of meteor watching. And we may have a scope or two set up for good views of Mars and Saturn.
- Saturday August 27. Extremely close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. At 3 pm PDT the two planets will appear less than 4 arcminutes (one-fifteenth of a degree) apart—for comparison, Jupiter and its moon Callisto will be around 7 arcminutes apart. By local sunset at 8 pm Venus and Jupiter will still be less than 9 arcminutes apart. No official AOH meeting is planned.
- Saturday September 3. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 1. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 29. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 26. Regular monthly meeting.
- Saturday December 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/]. Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/].