Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Wednesday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower. Perseids can be seen between July 17th and August 24th, but peak activity is predicted to occur from 11:30 p.m. on the night of the 12th until 2:00 a.m. on the morning of the 13th, Pacific Daylight Time. Because this peak occurs at the time of the new moon this year, observing should be good. If the weather is clear we'll meet at Kneeland Airport at dusk. Bring a folding chair (preferably one that reclines) and/or something to lie on, and bring warm clothing and a blanket or sleeping bag. Check out the Kneeland Sky Cam; and check back here for any last-minute updates.
- Saturday August 15. Saturn, Scorpius, and Sagittarius Star Party. Weather permitting we'll meet at Kneeland Airport at dusk. Prominent in the southern sky will be the ringed planet Saturn accompanied by a view toward the center of the Galaxy and the star clouds and clusters of the Scorpius and Sagittarius regions. Check out the Kneeland Sky Cam; and check back here for any last-minute updates.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2015 (check back for details):
- Saturday September 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Sunday September 27. Total Lunar Eclipse. Moon rises locally during umbral eclipse at 7:02 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time; totality begins at 7:11; mid-eclipse occurs at 7:47; totality ends at 8:23; moon leaves umbra at 9:27.
- Saturday October 10. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 7. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday November 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday December 5. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday December 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Starry Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.yosemitepark.com/starry-skies.aspx], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/].