Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Saturday May 7. Regular Monthly Meeting. We are scheduled to meet at Kneeland Observatory at 8 pm for an observing session if the weather is clear or an indoor presentation otherwise. Be sure to check back here for any last-minute changes.
Monday May 9. Transit of Mercury.
Transit is in progress at local sunrise, 6:05 am PDT.
Maximum transit is at 7:57 am, last contact is at 11:42 am.
Transits of Mercury are not as rare as transits of Venus, but are more difficult to observe. Mercury's apparent diameter will be only 1/5 of the diameter of Venus at the June 2012 transit, and a magnification of at least 50× is recommended for viewing. Note that a safe solar filter is required. See Fred Espenak's Eclipse Page for more details.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2016 (check back for details):
- Saturday June 4. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday July 2. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday July 30. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Friday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower.
- Saturday August 27. Extremely close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. At 3 pm PDT the two planets will appear less than 4 arcminutes apart (for comparison, Jupiter and its moon Callisto will be around 7 arcminutes apart). By local sunset at 8 pm Venus and Jupiter will still be less than 9 arcminutes apart.
- Saturday September 3. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 1. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 29. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 26. Regular monthly meeting.
- Saturday December 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/].