Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Wednesday December 13. Geminid Meteor Shower. The shower maximum is predicted to occur around 10:30 pm Pacific time on the 13th. The best viewing will probably be after midnight in the early morning hours of the 14th and before moonrise at 4 am. No formal AOH activity is planned. Find some clear sky and dress warmly.
- Saturday January 6. Public Observing at Arts Alive. If the weather is clear, we will set up scopes at the Gazebo in Eureka from 6 to 9 pm.
- Saturday January 13. Regular Monthly Meeting. We will have an observing session at Kneeland Observatory if the weather is clear. Otherwise, there will be an indoor presentation. Before you go, check back here for possible last-minute changes.
- Wednesday January 31. Total Lunar Eclipse. The umbral or "dark shadow" phase of the eclipse begins at 3:48 am and ends at 7:11 am, with totality between 4:52 am and 6:08 am, Pacific Standard Time. No formal AOH activity is planned. Set your alarm for this early-morning event.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the rest of the first half of 2018 (check back for details):
- Saturday February 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday February 10. AOH Annual Potluck. At Humboldt Area Foundation, 363 Indianola Rd, Bayside. 6 to 9 pm. Guest speaker: Professor Paola Rodriguez Hidalgo of the HSU Department of Physics and Astronomy.
- Saturday February 17. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday March 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Friday March 16 or Saturday March 17. Messier Marathon.
- Saturday April 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday May 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday June 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],