Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Saturday June 24. Regular Monthly Meeting. We will hold an observing session at Kneeland Airport. Sunset is around 8:50; arrive in time to set up before dark. Before leaving home, check the Kneeland Weather and the Kneeland Sky Cam and then check back here for any last-minute changes in plans.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2017 (check back for details):
- Saturday July 22. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Wednesday July 26: probable date. Astronomy Day in Arcata. Outreach event for Camp Odyssey, summer camp for Boys and Girls Club of the Redwoods. Time tba.
- Saturday July 29. Get Out and Play Day in Eureka. Outreach event at Sequoia Park, 12 to 5 pm, hosted by Eureka Parks and Rec.
- July 31 or August 1 or 3 or 4: date to be determined. Astronomy Day in McKinleyville. Outreach event for McKinleyville Community Services District Kids Camp. Time tba.
- Saturday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower.
We will have a Meteor Watch Party
at Kneeland Airport on Saturday Evening.
The Perseid meteors are visible for several days before and after the 12th. The predicted peak of the shower occurs during Pacific Coast daylight on the 12th. Many observers will choose to go out on the 11th, and stay until the wee hours of the morning of the 12th, since ordinarily meteor-watching is better after midnight (That's when are on the side of the Earth facing into the meteor stream); but this year a gibbous moon will be in the sky then. On the evening of the 12th sunset is at 8:20, the sky is dark around an hour later, and there are still around two lunar-free hours of meteor-watching available.
- Monday August 21. Total Solar Eclipse.
Oregon and points East. There will be no local AOH event since
most of our members will be traveling to the path of totality.
For those wishing to travel to the path of totality but haven't yet made plans here is a link to a Portland Oregonian page with some tips on where to go to watch; and for those who have to stay home here is an app with an animation of what to expect to see from Humboldt County. Note that the safety tips given above are crucial whether you are going to totality or not.
- Saturday September 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 21. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 18. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday December 2. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday December 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],