Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Thursday October 23. Partial Solar Eclipse. The eclipse occurs in midafternoon from 1:44 p.m. to 4:27 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. About half of the sun's diameter will be covered at mid-eclipse as seen from Humboldt County. There is no organized AOH meeting. Observe on your own from wherever you can see the sun. It is essential that you use safe solar viewing methods. If you don't know what this means, Sky & Telescope has an article on How to Watch a Partial Solar Eclipse Safely that you should consult.
- Saturday October 25. "Indian Summer Triangle" Star Party. We will meet at Kneeland Observatory at 7:00 p.m. We will have an observing session if the weather is clear or an indoor presentation otherwise.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2014 (check back for details):
- Saturday November 1. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday November 22. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday December 6. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday December 20. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], Enchanted Skies Star Party [at http://enchantedskies.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Starry Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.yosemitepark.com/starry-skies.aspx], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/].