Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Tuesday July 14. New Horizons Pluto Flyby. The New Horizons spacecraft, launched in 2006, will reach its closest encounter with the Pluto planetary system at 4:50 am PDT. [But first post-encounter data retrieval is not expected until 6 pm PDT since (1) NH-Earth contact will be offline during the encounter as NH devotes all of its computing power to acquisition and storage of data and (2) Pluto is about 7 light-hours away.] See the NASA New Horizons webpage or the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory webpage for current and ongoing coverage of this historic event.
- Saturday July 18. "Gobs of Globs" Star Party. Meet at dusk at Kneeland Airport. We'll attempt to view the globular clusters and other galactic sights in the Scorpius/Sagittarius area. Be sure to check the weather, and check the Kneeland Sky Cam; and check back here for any last-minute updates.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2015 (check back for details):
- Wednesday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower. Perseids can be seen between July 17th and August 24th, but peak activity is predicted to occur from 11:30 p.m. on the night of the 12th until 2:00 a.m. on the morning of the 13th, Pacific Daylight Time. Because this peak occurs at the time of the new moon this year, observing should be good, weather permitting.
- Saturday August 15. Regular Monthly Meeting. Meet at dusk at Kneeland Airport.
- Saturday September 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Sunday September 27. Total Lunar Eclipse. Moon rises during totality at 7:02 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time; mid-eclipse 7:47; totality ends 8:23; moon leaves umbra 9:27.
- Saturday October 10. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 7. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday November 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday December 5. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday December 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Starry Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.yosemitepark.com/starry-skies.aspx], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/].