Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Friday October 20. Science Night at College of the Redwoods. AOH will set up some scopes outdoors (weather permitting) and will have some display tables indoors. From 5 to 9 pm. Free admission and free parking. Get more info here.
- Saturday October 28. International Observe the Moon Night. The moon is 66% illuminated (just past first quarter). This is a great opportunity to go out and observe the moon with your neighbors and friends. Get more info here. Download a Moon Map activity here.
- Saturday November 4. Kneeland School Fall Festival. AOH will help out by giving tours of and skyviews from the observatory, weather permitting. Otherwise we will set up some indoor displays. Let Grace know if you can help out. The event is at Kneeland School from 4 to 7 pm.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2017 (check back for details):
- Saturday November 18. Annual General Membership Meeting. Keep the date open. At Babe's Pizza in Cutten. Details tba.
- Saturday December 2. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Wednesday December 13. Geminid Meteor Shower.. The shower maximum is predicted to occur around 10:30 pm Pacific time on the 13th. The best viewing will probably be after midnight in the early morning hours of the 14th.
- Saturday December 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],