Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
Saturday June 4. Martian Perigee Party.
We will meet at
Kneeland Observatory for a viewing session.
Mars will be within a week of its closest approach to Earth; it will be one-half AU away, with a disk
18 arcseconds in diameter, and will shine at magnitude -2. Saturn and Jupiter should both be visible
as well. Be sure to check back for last-minute changes which may occur because of unfavorable
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2016 (check back for details):
- Saturday July 2. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday July 30. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Friday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower.
- Saturday August 27. Extremely close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. At 3 pm PDT the two planets will appear less than 4 arcminutes apart (for comparison, Jupiter and its moon Callisto will be around 7 arcminutes apart). By local sunset at 8 pm Venus and Jupiter will still be less than 9 arcminutes apart.
- Saturday September 3. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 1. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday October 29. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 26. Regular monthly meeting.
- Saturday December 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/]. Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],