Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Saturday December 2. Public Observing at Arts Alive. If the weather is clear, we will set up scopes at the Gazebo in Old Town Eureka, Second and F Streets, between 6 and 9 pm.
- Wednesday December 13. Geminid Meteor Shower. The shower maximum is predicted to occur around 10:30 pm Pacific time on the 13th. The best viewing will probably be after midnight in the early morning hours of the 14th. No formal AOH activity is planned. Find some clear sky and dress warmly.
- Saturday December 16. Regular Monthly Meeting. We will have an observing session at Kneeland Observatory if the weather is clear. Otherwise, there will be an indoor presentation. Before you go, check back here for possible last-minute changes.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the first half of 2018 (check back for details):
- Saturday January 6. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday January 13. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Wednesday January 31. Total Lunar Eclipse. The umbral or "dark shadow" phase occurs between 3:48 am and 7:11 am, with totality between 4:52 am and 6:08 am, Pacific Standard Time.
- Saturday February 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday February 17. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday March 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Friday March 16 or Saturday March 17. Messier Marathon.
- Saturday April 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday May 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday June 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],