Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Wednesday January 31. Total Lunar Eclipse. The umbral or "dark shadow" phase of the eclipse begins at 3:48 am and ends at 7:11 am, with totality between 4:52 am and 6:08 am, Pacific Standard Time. No formal AOH activity is planned. Set your alarm for this early-morning event.
- Saturday February 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive. If the weather is clear we will set up scopes at the Gazebo in Eureka from 6 to 9 pm for public observing. Bring some binocs or a scope or just show up to help us engage with the public.
- Saturday February 10. AOH Annual Potluck. Our "Annual" Potluck will be held in the Emmerson Room at the Humboldt Area Foundation. Our guest speaker is HSU Professor Professor Paola Rodriguez Hidalgo. The event is free; all you need to do is to RSVP and bring your favorite dish. There will be a drawing with some great prizes like AOH clothing and coffee cups, astronomy books, and dvds. The event starts at 5:30 pm with a meet and greet, dinner will be at 6:30 pm, and Dr. Rodriguez Hidalgo will speak at 7:30 pm. Note: we are not allowed to have alcohol on the premises so this is a "dry" event. See the event poster which includes directions and a link to which you can RSVP.
- Saturday February 17. Regular Monthly Meeting. We will have an observing session at Kneeland Observatory if the weather is clear. Otherwise, there will be an indoor presentation. Before you go, check back here for possible last-minute changes.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the rest of the first half of 2018 (check back for details):
- Saturday March 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Friday March 16 or Saturday March 17. Messier Marathon.
- Wednesday March 28. "Listening to the Universe: LIGO". OLLI class taught by Barry Evans through HSU.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays April 3-17. "The New Solar System Series". OLLI classes taught by Mark Bailey through HSU.
- Saturday April 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday May 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday June 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],