Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Friday March 28 or Saturday March 29. Messier Marathon.
The annual Messier Marathon will be held on either Friday, March 28, or Saturday March 29.
A last-minute decision will be posted here, based on the weather forecast.
Arrive in time to set up equipment before nightfall.
The location is Kneeland Airport.
Some useful resources for the marathon are: The Messier Marathon, [at http://messier.seds.org/xtra/marathon/marathon.html] which contains a history of Messier Marathons as well as some tables, tips, and links to other resources; The Free Astronomy Software Site, [at http://www.davidpaulgreen.com/tumol.html] which contains The Ultimate Messier Object Log (TUMOL); John Small's Sky Maps, [at http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps_jsmall.html] which contains Telrad charts for all the Messier Objects; and Lenore Freeman Morales's book A Starhopper's Guide to Messier Objects available at Everything in the Universe [at http://www.everythingintheuniv.com/_eiu/new_books.htm#starhopper.
- Monday April 14. Total Lunar Eclipse. The partial (umbral) phase begins at 10:58 p.m., Pacific Daylight Time. The total eclipse starts at 12:06 a.m. (on the 15th) and ends at 1:25 a.m. The partial eclipse ends at 2:33 a.m. No official meeting is planned; observe from wherever you can see the moon.
Meeting dates and special events for the rest of 2014 (check back for details):
- Saturday April 26. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday May 31. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday June 28. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday July 26. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Tuesday August 12. Perseid Meteor Shower.
- Saturday August 23. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday September 20. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Wednesday October 8. Total Lunar Eclipse. 2:15 a.m. to 5:34 a.m.
- Thursday October 23. Partial Solar Eclipse. 1:44 p.m. to 4:27 p.m. About 50% of the sun will be covered as seen from Humboldt County.
- Saturday October 25. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday November 22. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday December 6. Public Observing at Arts Alive.
- Saturday December 20. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], Enchanted Skies Star Party [at http://enchantedskies.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/general.html], Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Starry Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.yosemitepark.com/starry-skies.aspx], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/].